The Regional Chamber of Commerce – San Gabriel Valley shall be a premier organization providing advocacy, education, and networking resources for a better business and community environment.
The Regional Chamber of Commece proudly belongs to the
San Gabriel Valley Legislative
Coalition of Chambers
Advocating on Behalf of Business!
Hacienda La Puente Unified School District
Hacienda La Puente Unified School District High Schools are among the best in the nation and have won many awards and honors, offering innovative and distinguished academic and athletic programs.
Our kindergarten through 12th grade enrollment is more than 22,000 students who reside within the district's boundaries--the cities of Industry and La Puente, and the unincorporated Los Angeles County areas of Hacienda Heights and Valinda. The Hacienda La Puente Unified School District has seventeen K-5 elementary schools, six K-8 schools, four middle schools, four comprehensive high schools, one alternative high school, an orthopedic unit for the physically handicapped, and an extensive child development and adult education program. The district also maintains an Administration Center, an Instructional Services Center, a Multilingual Assessment Center, a Professional Library, and a Curriculum Lab. The Hacienda La Puente Unified School District is dedicated to maximizing the talents, interests, and abilities of all its students, enabling them to meet the challenges and opportunities of a changing world. The district curriculum is based on the California State Frameworks and California Common Core Standards (CCCS). Classroom instruction is integrated, thematically applied, technologically integrated, and sensitive to the individual learning styles of students and the needs of the multicultural community we serve. Elementary classrooms are self-contained and opportunities for team teaching are available. Middle schools offer both core and departmentalized scheduling. Classrooms are departmentalized for students in grades 9-12. Band, chorus, drama, journalism, and other student activities are also provided. A number of supplemental programs enhance the district's basic classroom curriculum. These programs include: special education, English language development, gifted and talented education, counseling, school improvement, and compensatory education programs.
Rowland Unified School District
Rowland Unified has 4 National Blue Ribbon Schools - 16 California State Distinguished Schools and more state Golden Bell awards than any other school district in the region. Look no further than Rowland Unified!
Beyond our many awards and achievements, we at Rowland Unified have a proven commitment to excellence, offering students and families exceptional learning opportunities along with a caring culture that will enable them to become global thinkers and leaders.
Rowland Unified is located 40 miles east of Los Angeles, and are proud to be one of the leading mid-sized school districts in California. With more than 16,000 students and 23 elementary and secondary schools, we serve the communities of Rowland Heights, Walnut, La Puente, City of Industry and West Covina. Permits allow students from other communities to attend our schools.
Walnut Valley Unified School District
Walnut Valley schools have been recognized by both the California State Department of Education and the United States Department of Education. Numerous sites are California Distinguished and National Blue Ribbon Schools. These schools are high achieving and have risen to the challenge of educating every child.
The International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement programs at both comprehensive high schools provide students with a challenging academic experience that prepares them to be successful in college. Both programs have been acknowledged for their excellence on the state, federal, and international levels.
Two elementary schools offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program. This international curriculum teaches children to be global thinkers through creative thought and inquiry. Funding from a prestigious federal grant provides students with the opportunity to learn Spanish and become proficient bilingual speakers.
A Culture of Respect and Personal Accountability
We value respect and personal accountability. From the Board of Education and Superintendent, to custodians and coaches, and teachers and support staff, we model the respect and personal accountability that we expect of each other as employees, and from the students and parents we serve. It's one of the most important lessons we teach.
The safety of students and staff is always our first priority, and it shows. Statistics show that school is by far the safest place for children. And by cultivating an expectation of safe and responsible behavior, combined with a close working relationship with local law enforcement, a seasoned school district security department, and continuous upgrades to site safety equipment, we intend to keep our schools safe and protective places for both children and employees.
Smaller Class Sizes Than Our Neighbors
Continuing state budget cuts have forced school districts to make some difficult choices. At Pomona Unified, however, we're pleased to report that our class sizes remain some of the smallest in the region, allowing students more individual attention from teachers.
Our school district is named after Mr. O.T. Bassett of El Paso, Texas. In 1895 he bought 814 acres of land in the western part of the Puente Valley. This land was part of the original 47,000 acre land grant belonging to John Rowland and William Workman. Governor Pio Pico granted this land to them on July 22, 1845. This land grant was known as Rancho Puente and was one of the larger ranchos of Southern California. The rancho encompassed Covina, West Covina, Rowland Heights, La Puente and Baldwin Park. So during those days, the boundaries were defined by a river, a lagoon, and a chain of hills.
In 1851, Mr. Rowland and Mr. Workman divided their land, with Workman taking possession of the western portion of about 20,000 acres. Records indicate that Joseph Workman, the son of William Workman, bought part of the land and then borrowed money on the property at a local bank. He was not able to keep up the mortgage payments, so the bank acquired the property, and it was then that Mr. O.T. Bassett bought it. His son, Charles Bassett, inherited the land and later sold portions to other settlers. Bassett Township was established.
Miss Loretta Barber was the first teacher in the new school building, and she taught 20 pupils in grades one through nine. In 1923, the voters approved a bond issue that made it possible to acquire two-and--a-half more acres, making a total of five acres for the school grounds. The original two-room frame school building was moved to the southern side of the property and was used for many years as a school for the children of migrant workers. At that time Bassett and the surrounding area was surrounded by walnut groves.
Elephants in the School Yard
On September 23, 1924, a new brick building was dedicated. Sixty-seven pupils were enrolled and there were three teachers: Miss Arubutus Ramsey, Miss Florence Flanner and Miss Margaret Tindall. In 1934, elephants from the LG. Barnes Circus, which had its winter camp in nearby Baldwin Park, removed the walnut trees. The area was then planted with beans and alfalfa, and some sections were taken over by truck farming and strawberries. The 1934 earthquake rendered the brick structure unsafe and the school had to be rebuilt. The children in the primary grades were housed in the original migrant school and the rest of the students in grades five through eight were housed in tents until the building was completed and opened in 1940. By 1947 there were 489 students enrolled in Bassett Elementary with fourteen teachers. Bassett School District grew in the fifties and sixties.
The Ethel D. Keenan School was built in 1952, named after a beloved teacher who later served the district as superintendent. The J.E. Van Wig School, named after a long-time resident and school board member was opened in 1956. Edgewood Intermediate opened its doors in 1957. The Thomas M. Erwin School was named after the life-long member of the community and State Senator, and was dedicated in 1958.
In 1998, the Bassett Unified School District proudly celebrated its centennial. Bassett Unified School District is grateful to our community, and proud of our "Century of Service" in educating our students.